Pawtributor
khailwood

Is it ok to give your cat chicken broth or stock?

JackieK

Re: Is it ok to give your cat chicken broth or stock?

Hi Khailwood,

I would be careful with chicken broth / stock if it's not homemade for a few reasons.  The number one reason being salt / sodium content. For example the second ingredient listed on Swanson's Chicken broth is salt followed by monosodium. If your intentions are to try and better hydrate your cat this may be counter productive.  Instead I'd try feeding him some wet food which will provide a better source of hydration and nutrients. 

The other reason I'd be cautious of canned chicken broth / stock is that a lot of times in addition to the salt there's often times traces of garlic, onions and other ingredients that can be harmful to a cat.  They may be trace amounts, but since cats are generally around 8-12 lbs they're much more sensitive to these smaller quantities then say a 70 lb dog. For instance in College Inn's chicken broth contains "onion juice concentrate" and Swansons contains dehydrated garlic, roasted garlic puree, garlic oil and garlic powder. A lot of these broths also contain corn syrup and other sugars....

So long story short if it's home made and you can ensure that it's just chicken broth then go for it.  Other wise you may want to try using a bit of juice from canned tuna (make sure it's canned in water) or clam juice (again check the ingredients for high salt contents).  This should be an occasional treat though unless your giving it in small quantities.

Ensuring that your cat's water is always fresh and changed frequently regardless of the water level in the bowl will also encourage him to drink more and stay hydrated.  Additionally, you can freeze tuna juice etc in little ice cubes to drop into the water bowl which will also encourage him to drink.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!

JackieK

Pawtributor
khailwood

Re: Is it ok to give your cat chicken broth or stock?

That really does help. Thanks so much Jackie! Especially since my cat's kidney levels are slightly elevated I really have to watch his sodium levels etc. I hadn't thought about that so thank you. Great advice :smileyhappy:

Search our Community

Paws Up
Cat Nutrition & Diet
Paws Up Leaderboard
User Paws Up Count