This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Frisky Friend
ChihuahuaMama82
Chihuahuas came from Foxes, not wolves like other other dogs?

Just read an atricle in a science magazine saying Chihuahuas may be the only dogs descended from small foxes and not wolves like all other dogs. It sounds possible! 

Sniffin' Around
maryalice0106
Re: Chihuahuas came from Foxes, not wolves like other other dogs?

That's what I have always heard.  

Chico and Chuy's Mama

sonja1947

Fenic foxes are a different species from dogs so they cannot interbreed.  Actually, the chi is thought to be closer to the genes of the great dane, dingos, and wolves.  The idea of their descendents being foxes arose due to the shape of their faces.

Pet360 Foster Parent
sonja1947

Actually, fennec fox - my brain and my spelling are not in sync.

Pet360 Foster Parent
Frisky Friend
ChihuahuaMama82

Thanks guys :-) The article said that perhaps they are literally a type of fox, that it never had any inter-species breeding but evolved. Sounds crazy. Reiable scientific journal however!

Sniffin' Around
babydew

Chihuahuas did not come from fennec foxes. These foxes are from Africa. Chihuahuas originated somewhere in Mexico, Chihuahua possibly. They have artifacts dating back to the Aztecs. They are believed to be decendents of the Techichi dog. And have been bred to modern day dogs. Chihuahuas are probably the oldest dog breed in the Americas.

Fennec foxes cannot interbreed with dogs.

Frisky Friend
Peachy-Mom
Chihuahua's from foxes
I've read several articles that say the same thing, that Chi's came from foxes not wolves. The latest article was in a Dog Encyclopedia. Now, whether that's true or not I don't know, however, compared to other canines, they certainly "act" differently. Of the nine (9) fur babies I have, 7 are Chi's, the other two are a Pom/Poodle mix and a Pekingese. The Chi's have an almost cat like personality. They keep themselves extremely clean; mine are "climbers", always trying to get to the highest point they can (before momma and dad intervene and stop the adventure), play with "odd" toys, etc. add to that how clannish they are, much preferring each other as oppose to other dogs (except their Pom and Peke siblings), they are truly an interesting pack of pups!