Answer
Sniffin' Around
adoptn2
My poodle has fleas. Can I use vaseline, cortizone, or neosporin on is raw skin.

My poodle has an infestation of fleas.  his skin is so raw from bititng and scratching.  Can I put vaseline, cortizone, or neosporin on is sores?

Other Answers: 4
Pawtributor
KTJO
Answered

There is also something called "Bag Balm" it comes in a green tin container, you can use it on all kinds of irritated areas on pets and on all kinds of pets for that matter. It helps keep it from getting further irritated. I use it on my pets, and my family has always used it on their pets as well!

Sniffin' Around
somanydogs
Answered

I've used neosporin on raw spots with success.  Just put it on sparingly, a thin coat, in case the dog licks it off.  Gold Bond powder is a good product for calming the itch and drying the scabs when they appear.  Fleas are terrible here too.  Confortis (expensive at your vets) works well.  I've found you can buy the active ingredient of my flea products, Permethrin ?, online, then mix it .32 of an ounce to one gallon of water.  After giving your dog a bath, just pour this mixture on.  It's really affordable this way.  That way, you can wash every week or other week.

Frisky Friend
Dr_V
Answered

Have you gotten rid of the fleas? That is the first order of business. Remember too that a dog who is licking irritated skin will usually ingest whatever you rub on his skin before it has the chance to be effective. If your pet is seriously uncomfortable I always recommend a vet exam to make sure your pet doesn't have a secondary bacterial infection; in addition we have access to a really good array of safe and effective medications that can help with that awful itch. Good luck!

www.pawcurious.com
facebook.com/pawcurious
New Paw-ticipant
KConroy
Answered

i have used vaseline on my dogs. just make sure its not in an area that they can easily get to, to lick it up because it my cause them to have stomach reactions. depending on how sensitive their tummys are. a little bit goes along way. Good Luck.

Search our Community

Paws Up
Dog General Q & A
Paws Up Leaderboard
User Paws Up Count