Pawtributor
aleida1004

Lymphangiectasia

My 12 year old Havanese, Max, has LYMPHANGIECTASIA.  He is being treated with Atopica, Prednisone and  Salix. He has become a very picky eater. Now he only wants Stella & Chewey Freeze Dried Venison but who knows for how long that will last. Any suggestions?

jackie241

I am sorry to hear about your dog's illness.I looked up t...

[ Edited ]

@aleida1004 

I am sorry to hear about your Max's illness.I looked up the disease and it says that a diet very low in fat and high in high quality protein is needed.It also says that it is rarely cured but can remain in remission for along time...I am praying for Max to have a remission.

Please keep us updated as to how he is doing.We care.Have you joined the Senior Pets Group?Someone there may have experienced the same disease and have info to offer you.

Jackie P.
Pet360 Foster Parent
Pawesome Pal
PatrickMahaney

Hi    and thank you for your question.   The health conce...

Hi  @aleida1004  and thank you for your question.

The health concern with which your Havanese has been diagnosed is certainly one that challenges many veterinary practitioners and pet owners.

Lymphangiectasia means that there is dilation/distention of the lymphatic system, which closely parallels the arteries and veins that helps to provide drainage to a particular area of the body. A result, the lymphatic system does not work as well as it should and the area which is drained by the lymph system is not properly relieved of fluid, white blood cells, inflammation, infection, trauma, toxicity, or other illnesses. 

Due to the somewhat extreme nature of your dogs diagnosis, I suggest you discuss with your veterinarian the option of pursuing a UC Davis Nutritional Consultation.  When making home prepared foods and providing  feedings that are nutritionally complete and balanced for his health conditions, pursuing the nutrition consultation is an important step to help both your veterinarian and you best manage this challenging circumstance.

Additionally, promoting the most normal functioning of the digestive tract through diets that are based in ingredients that are human-grade and whole-food based is important.  Probiotics and other nutraceuticals that help to ensure maintenance or improvement in overall digestion (and therefore whole-body function).

Good luck,

Dr. PM

Pawtributor
aleida1004

Thank you. Max is being treated by a specialty vet. He is...

Thank you. Max is being treated by a specialty vet. He is on probiotics, salix, prednisone and

atopica. He has not gotten worse. His album levels have remained the same but at least he is no longer coughing and lethargic. He has become a very very picky eater but he does like the Stella & Chewy freeze dried venison and Nature's Recipe Venison Stew. He doesn't like any of the kibble or the mushy ground up dog foods. He is due for more blood tests next week so we shall see if the atopica has helped or not.

jackie241

I am so glad to see an update on Max.Happy that for now h...

@aleida1004 

I am so glad to see an update on Max.Happy that for now he is not any worse.Hoping for decent results with his next bloodwork.You and Max are in my thoughts.Hope you have a good day.

Jackie P.
Pet360 Foster Parent
Pawtributor
aleida1004

Max is doing better

Max is doing better. His albumen, protein and cholesterol levels are higher which is good. The vet says that they are almost normal so it means the high protein, low fat diet and the medicine are working. He is still on prednisone, atopica and salix.

Best of Breed
Rebecca

So glad to hear he is still doing okay,  !!!!   My dog As...

So glad to hear he is still doing okay, @aleida1004 !!!!

My dog Astrid loveeeesssss Stella & Chewy's freeze dried!

Please let us know how he made out with his blood work?

-Rebecca
(Retired) Community Engagement Manager, Pet360

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Dog Nutrition & Diet
Paws Up Leaderboard
User Paws Up Count