Pawtributor
Maureen

Shar-Pei Mom's Dinner Time Question

Hi Pet Lovers,

I'm new to Pet360 this week. Please bare with me as I give you some back story:

I have 2 Chinese Shar-Peis named Zoey (a 5 year old lilac female) and Otis (a 1 year old blue male). When Otis was brand new to our home last fall, Zoey welcomed him eagerly. They get along very well, and interact and play appropriately; both with one another and with visitors, especially children. As Otis grew and they became nearly the same size -- in height anyway -- she has become very, VERY protective of all things edible. Zoey growls and nips & blocks Otis from access to food & treats; and although these dogs are treated completely equal and given the exact same toys, treats and amount of affection, Zoey has made it clear to him that she is ALPHA. As a result, I believe Otis has developed a slight aversion to food. We put the food bowls down in seperate areas for them morning and night, feeding each an 8oz portion of their foods. We feed Nutro Natural food -- for Otis, puppy formula and for Zoey, lite formula because we have to keep her weight stable. Each dog weighs about 42-44 pounds which is normal, but Zoey's girth is wider and Otis is lean and about 2 inches taller. They only eat small kibble dry food and I'm proud to say because of the dry crunchy foods, my Vet says their teeth and gums are in excellent health.

To enhance Otis' appetite, & try to increse his interest in food, I have stirred in some jarred gravy a few times but recently just soak in warm water to soften a bit and make an aromatic gravy. Oh -- I forgot to add -- myself or my husband have to sit on the kitchen floor until he is finished eating because he may move to the water bowl mid-meal or lose interest and Zoey will pounce on the scene and GOBBLE up the remaining food...and he doesn't seem to care. Zoey eats in record time and then hovers over Otis until he's done or abandons his bowl.

Although Zoey is spayed, Otis is not neutered. We opted to hold off at the advice of our Vet to promote continued growth with the help of testerone production. Since he is not aggressive and humping isn't a problem, we're in no hurry to do so.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS about meal time behaviors to share knowing my story? Shar-pei's have a genetic pre-disposition to kidney disease so we're always mindful of what we give them to eat & snack on.

I would love some suggestions! Sorry about the L-O-N-G story.   

Maureen

sophiemol
Topics: 22
Paws Up: 145

increasing his appetite

Hmmmm...fortunately, I've never had this problem with  my dogs because they are canine garbage disposals.  Have you ever heard of SuperGravy?  You add it to food and it was created to help stimulate dogs' appetites...but if he is truly stressed, he probably won't eat.

Pawtributor
Maureen

Re: increasing his appetite

Hi SophieMol,

Thanks for your suggestion. My only worry is that I'll create a MONSTER if I keep changing foods if he's picky and especially adding something tasty like gravy. Have you used it before? Any problems with loos stools when you use it for a while?

Maureen

sophiemol

one more thing

Contrary to what your vet says, dry kibble does NOT clean teeth.  Only a toothbrush can do that.  While kibble produces LESS tartar than canned food, it is really not as good for your dog.  They need moisture.  Kibble is HIGHLY processed  I attached a video which shows how kibble is made.

It's like eating corn chips for people.  If you insist on feeding only kibble, though, make sure you are at least giving a high quality one like Orijen, Natures Variety, Merrick....

Pawtributor
Maureen

Re: one more thing

Thanks again!  And, yes, the kibble we give them is very high quality and no preservatives. Natural Choice by Nutro.   ~Maureen

sophiemol

Re: one more thing

Sorry for the delayed response!  I haven't tried the Super Gravy on my dog - so I don't know if it would cause loose stools...I wouldn't think it would, though.  It has some pretty good, all natural ingredients...you could always add some pumpkin in to firm it up!

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Dog Nutrition & Diet
Paws Up Leaderboard
User Paws Up Count