Sniffin' Around
ralphieboy

Barking

I Have a 4 year old Great Pyrenees, Moby.  He is afraid of his own shadow but when he is outside he constantly barks at our neighbors deck. (we have a wood privacy fence but they have a high deck so we can always see them. They go in & out all day smoking & do not work so are home 24 hrs a day) It doesn't matter if there is anyone out there or not, Moby still barks...That is his breed plus he is a dog!  We also have Harvey another pyrenees, he is 2yrs.  Harvey is starting to copy Moby & bark alot more.  Chester is our youngest he is an English golden retriever, 11 months.  He just sits there and wags his tail hoping they will acknowledge him!  They are obviously not dog people..All they do is yell at Moby &Harvey to be quiet.  That only makes things worse! Common sense!! Ugh. We recently got new neighbors that are unbelievably horrible. They are complaining about Moby, threatening to call the police etc.  We have lived in our home over 10 yrs and never had one complaint.  We purchased a citronella spray collar which did nothing. We purchased a very highly recommended Shock collar which I swore I would never get but we are doing everything we can. The collar has helped some. Also have tried natural calming treats. These new loser neighbors are getting expensive. Does anyone know of any other products out there that work? I don't want to keep him on valium. He has a right to be out in his yard, bark & play. Any suggestions? New products? I have seem Clomicalm, Rescue Remedy spray etc. Anyone know if these work? This is getting expensive? Thanks!  

Sniffin' Around
1cruiser

Ho do I train my 1yr old toy poodle to not bark at guests that come to the door.

Frisky Friend
AzureSky

Dogs barking

This is a difficult one to solve. Personally I think shock collars are counter productive as they cause stress to your dog.

I can recommend a book called Barking a Language available on Amazon. She is an internationally known behaviourist. I have a couple of her other books. Her methods do work.

http://www.amazon.com/Barking-Language-Dogwise-Training-Manual/dp/1929242514

My George hardly barks at all now. He used to bark at everything that moved. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, you will get results.

Be like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
Pawtributor
smf67

Re: Dogs barking

Hi...I know this isn't my thread about barking dogs but just wanted to say thanks for posting the info about the book.  I have added it to my amazon wish list so if my husband gets really really tired of our dogs barking he can purchase the book!!! LOL.  Not sure if I am even posting this in the right area since I am new to this site.  Thanks AzureSky

Sandra

Frisky Friend
AzureSky

Dog barking

Your neighbour's threats to call the police should not get you into trouble. If the dogs aren't barking at night I doubt if the neighbours have a case. Your dogs are entitled to defend your property.

However, I think the book I recommended will help.

Be like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
Sniffin' Around
hlittell

What??? Old but feel like penny for my thought

"That is his breed plus he is a dog" 

I am sorry but if that is how you feel YOU are the loser.

1) I have 3 dogs and when/if my dog starts to bark I immediately react. Because although they are dogs, they are my dogs and I expect them to behave and listen. I am not on a pedestal preaching as my dogs do bark but to call your neighbors loser and say that your dog should be allowed to bark whenever because of that, well I hope you get stuck in an elevator with several screaming babies...Because after all they are just babies and that his their nature

I moved into my home and after a few years I had new neighbors on both sides of me. One had a pit bull and a larger dog (maybe a doberman mixed) The larger dog was friendly but kept jumping the fence to play with my kids. He even left a huge scratch on my son (In play not aggression) However he escaped all the time. The pitbull (Which I am not saying anything against pitbulls just that was what he was)....Lived at the corner of their yard and mine right under my bedroom window and by that I mean if he was outside he barked non stop at my house. It did not matter if we were outside He barked, he barked when my kids and I played in the backyard. He barked when we came home. I always worried he would learn how to jump the fence like his "roomate". So I complained to animal control as the neighbors did nothing about the dog barking or the one that jumped fence.

The neighbors on my other side had 3 small dogs that did nothing but bark when we were in the yard, playing or weed eating or swimming in our pool...We even ended up getting a 6 foot fence because one of their dogs kept jumping the fence to attack out dogs. 

I am a pet sitter as well as a dog lover but let me tell you it is not the neighbors that are getting expensive it is you (the owner)...Dogs bark to communicate, fear anxiety anger. YOU have to become their "Pack leader" and take control of the situation and not just every now and again it takes alot of effort to get a dog to stop a behavior he has always been allowed to do. It is the owner that has to be trained to not allow it. All those other products are just products for the mfg to make money, Best tried and true method is to make sure your dog know that this is unacceptable behavior not with violence but with a stern voice letting him know you are in charge.

Ok sorry if this is nasty but it is really the owners that cause bad behaviors in dogs, Dogs are not born bad they are taught (or not taught at all)

Admin
Rebecca

Let's try to give constructive feedback and stay on a pos...

Let's try to give constructive feedback and stay on a positive note everyone - remember, we are all here because we love our pets!  

-Rebecca
Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
Pawtributor
smf67

Re: Barking

Hi, my name is Sandra and I have barkers also.  My husband hates it!  I say let your dogs be dogs.  They have a right to bark and as long as it isn't 10pm or later then I don't think they can do anything about your dogs barking.  If they are outside dogs and are consistently barking then that might be another issue.  I had a dog that was afraid of thunder and used rescue remedy.  It is great and helped her a lot.  Not much to offer but hope this helps.  Sandra

Search our Community