Pawtributor
Serenity92

German Shepherd puppy nips

[ Edited ]

My name is Jasmine and I have just become not only a new GSD owner, but a new pet owner as well. My baby, Duke, is a rambunctious 10wk old with a lot of energy and I love him to death. However, I am Ver curious on how to deal with his nipping. Sometimes he's playing and nips and I 'yelp' and it confuses him. Other times, however, he jumps up and snaps at me when I'm trying to teach him to sit. Is there anything that will help to stop this?

Pawtributor
powderuff

Re: Hello fellow GSD lovers!

hi my german shepherd use to do that when he still had his baby teeth we would hit him on the nose and tell him no. he occassionally will try to put our hand in his mouth and we just tell him no.  My dogs name is Ceasar and he is 6 months old and huge but he still thinks he is a puppy!  he is very smart all german shepherds are very intelligent and every once in a while they like to see who is going to be boss. Is he potty trained yet? If not it wont't be long before he is German shepherds have small bladders so we always no matter what took him out every 25 minutes and said go pee pee and when we weren't home we would put him in a cage they won't go in there own little home. Let me know when ne gets older if he starts chewing and biting on himself it seems gsd do that they have real dry skin and also they grow so fast my vet recommended Glucosamine for joint care so if he starts walking funny you know why. and with gsd you have to let them know who the boss is or they will take over your house they like kids put them in timeout and let him know when he is wrong Well good luck. Rebecca 

Pawtributor
Serenity92

Hello! Thank you for replying, first off. Ill try that to make him stop. He is being crate trained right now and so far is doing very well! I hope he is potty trained soon😄 He does bite himself quite a bit and I was thinking it was dry skin. The breeder recommended feeding him ProPlan, so he is in the process of switching over to that food. I will def ask about anything else. I'm trying to show him whose boss, and I think he's learning slowly but does try to rebel. Lol
Admin
Rebecca

[ Edited ]

Hi Serenity - 

Do NOT hit your puppy for biting/nipping.  Hitting can lead to aggressive behavior. Instead, when he mouths you, yell "ouch" loudly and turn your back on him (and ignore him).  Do this EVERY time it happens, and he will learn that when he uses his mouth, he doesn't get played with.

• Never give your puppy attention for mouthing.
  • Never play rough with your puppy using your hands as toys.
  • Teach your puppy from the very beginning to perform an alternate behavior for attention. It isn’t fair to only correct him - he has to know what is right as well.
  • If your pup continues to mouth you, stand up immediately and walk away from him. If you can leave her safely in the room that she is in, do so. Count to five as you wait on the other side of a baby gate or door. When you come back through the door or baby gate, if your pup is calm (not mouthing), praise and reward himg and then hand him a toy to play with.
  • Make sure your puppy has lots of things to do. When he’s playing with an appropriate toy, engage her so he knows that when he’s playing with something appropriate, he will get your attention.
  • Exercise your puppy regularly many times throughout the day for short periods. Puppies don’t have a lot of stamina, but they do have a lot of energy in short bursts.

Puppies often learn more from being ignored; they can't stand losing your attention and affection.  Remember, it's not about showing him "who is boss."  It's about creating a relationship where he respects and loves you.  Your dog shouldn't be scared of you.

In terms of sratching, you may need to add some salmon oil to his diet so that he gets his essential fatty acids.  

Hope this helps!

-Rebecca
Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
Pawtributor
Serenity92

[ Edited ]

I understand. What I've been trying to do is redirect his attention to a toy of his instead of my hands. We visited the vet today and got him some conditioner for his skin. I'm switching his food to the lamb and rice ProPlan. My biggest issue is that I really can't leave him alone cause of house breaking. He also loves to nip my ankles when I try to ignore him and get in between my legs when I try to walk away. Any help with that? I don't want to mess up with him...

Pawtributor
nycurlee

Hi,

My 13wk old male is also very nippy. It is easy to tell when he is just playing or being fresh and aggressive. He has gotten better with our family in the last week or so but still is a challenge. His bottom baby teeth r hanging by threads. His ears have also flopped two weeks ago which I read is due to teething. I notice when I tell him no on biting us he goes right to himself and starts nibbling. It seems like a frustrating habit. He airs snaps at me also when he listens to my command but would rather not listen. I also need advise with the snapping. That is a hard one to ignore. I am hoping once he is allowed out after all his shots I can really get him the exercise he needs and he will calm down. He will be neutered in a month which I have also been told can help.

Leslie

Pawtributor
MamaLama

Agree completely with Rebecca; turning our back on Bear, our GSD,when mouthng/teething, got the message to him very quickly and after only three or four times, he caught on, yet another example of the intelligence of GSDs!  Also, teaching your puppy what TO DO, rather than only what not to do, just like with toddlers  and young children, is critically important; otherwise, your life becomes a constant harangue of no's, which quickly become meaningless.  Good luck!

Pawtributor
Serenity92

Ok, so I'll try that when he's in his kennel so that he's safe in the house. I've also been trying a water bottle, a spritz of water to his face, for when he's biting stuff he shouldn't then giving him his toys. That can't be dangerous, can it? I'm sorry for all the questions. He's my first personal dog.
Sniffin' Around
lovemykyra

IN MY OPP.I NEVER BELEIVE IN HITTING YOUR DOG IF YOU WANT GOOD RESULTS IN TRAINING YOUR DOG TRY " THE PENNIES" THIS I CAN TELL YOU WORKS! YOU TAKE A EMPTY CAN OF SODA,RINCE IT OUT LET THE INSIDE DRY OUT THEN PUT AFEW PENNIES IN IT.WHEN THEY DO SOMETHING BAD SHAKE IT TOWARDS THEM & AT THE SAME TIME SAY LOUDLY & IN A STERN VOICE " NO "! IT WORKS AFTER A FEW TIMES.IT WORKS SO GOOD AFTER AWHILE ALL YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM IS " DO YOU WANT ME TO GET THE PENNIES "! TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR ANY OF YOU AS GOOD AS IT DID FOR ME. YOU CAN E-MAIL ME HERE OR @ DJESSE57@YAHOO.COM ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS AS TO THIS OR TRAINING YOU DOGS. IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME GERMAN SHEPHERD LOVERS OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL LOVERS.I ALSO HAVE A TRAINED GOOSE AS A PET THAT WALKS UP&DOWN STAIRS LIKE IT NORMAL TO NAME AFEW THINGS SHE DOES.I HAVE A CONSERVATORY FOR ENDANGERED BIRDS ALSO. I HOPE THE CAN OF PENNIES WORKS FOR YOU & DONT WORRY ABOUT SCARING YOUR PUP @ FIRST THEY ACT REAL SCARED BUT THEN THEY SOON LEARN THAT THE NOISE THE PENNIES MAKE IS NOT WORTH THE WRONG THAT TEY ARE TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH! GOOD LUCK SIGNED, LOVE MY KYRA
Sniffin' Around
lovemykyra

serenity92,when you get a free moment read my new post about training your pup with acan of pennies,you shoud not hit your dog you will only make your dog scared of you & not want to be with you or trust you & im sure you do not want that,try the pennies & let me know how it wenr for you. and give it a chance to work the earlier you start with you pup and the more you do it only when she doessomething wrong the faster you will train her properly. good luck. signed love my kyra

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
#SummerOfPets
Paws Up
Dog Petiquette - Behavior & Training
Paws Up Leaderboard