Sandra52
Topics: 3
Paws Up: 2
Ideas: 0

Maggie

Hi my pug Maggie will not go out if the ground is wet, she wont walk or anything

Semper Fi Maggie and Mom (Sandra)
011.JPG
pugsleyluv

Re: Maggie

She is a super cutie! I also have a pug that is not overly fond of getting her feet wet. It has taken patience and gentle coaxing. If it is something you are wanting to work on be patient. If she feels  you are frustrated or getting frustrated it will never work. My suggestion would be to water the grass down and take her around in that first and gradually make the area larger. Take her to a lake and beach and let her experience that water that way. If she is anything like my pug rain and storms rolling in and on their way out turn her into a nervous wreck for hours.  Make it a fun experience and bring along special treats! Hope this helps I am always here.

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend has never loved a dog.

Amy
Sandra52

I never thought of that but I will try and she hates her feet touched. The vet can cut her nails but I cannot hold a paw!

Thanks for the advice

pugsleyluv

You are welcome! Always available and will do my best to get back with you quickly.

Amy
Sniffin' Around
Army2661

My first Pug , Bubba didn't like going out in the rain or snow.  I was given Bubba when he was four. It took a while and some treats to get him out in the wet. He did get the idea but it took a while. I have a pug puppy now and he was taken into a pool by me starting at 5 months. I hold him and let him paddle around. This guy , Buster , isn't overly fond of water but still will get in the pool with me , always held, and will go out in the rain to do his business. Pugs , at least mine, are stubborn but can be taught.

pugsleyluv

I agree pugs have a mind of their own. Patience is most definitely a virtue! Thank you for your input.

Amy
Sandra52

Hi I never thought of treats outside. Great idea!

Thank you Sandra and Maggie

mags.jpg
pugsleyluv

What a face!!! Maggie your a cutie. Watch the treats as it does not take these little guys long to get over weight. I feed mine baby carrots. She loves them and she does not even no they are good for her (lol).:smileywink:

Amy
Sandra52

I was checking out the treats on 360 she was 26 pounds and I got her down to 22 and still trying, do you have any home remedies for the stuff in there folds?

pugsleyluv

What's going on with Maggie's wrinkles? Those folds and creases are sometimes tricky to keep clean but if they are not they can collect all kinds of things and then can cause you and your pug a world of hurt! Remember whatever you are using is directly on the face a so therefore right in direct contact with their sniffer and their sniffer is super sensitive to smells!  I prefer to use unscented baby wipes. I also use one part which hazel to 3 parts water solution to clean ears and her wrinkles. This solution is gentle and will help with bacteria. This is the crucial part..you must clean her wrinkles at least 2x a week. You also must make sure they are completely dry!!! I cannot stress this enough. If your pug has lots of wrinkles and they are prone to collecting debris ramp up your cleaning to 3-4x a week! Just make sure to keep the moisture out of the wrinkles! Also I alternate wipes and which hazel. Sometimes if the wrinkles are not to dirty even a damp wash cloth will do the trick. Remember the wrinkles on the tail as well. I hope this helps.  FYI you can substitute green beans in Maggie's food to help as a filler to also help take of weight. I use them as a treat as well. When Star starts to get on the portly side of the pug world I substitute her some of her hard food for green beans by reducing the amount of hard kibble I feed her. She loves it! Hope this helps.

Amy

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Dog Petiquette - Behavior & Training
Paws Up Leaderboard