Frisky Friend
Sportsnut1227

Why do dogs like cat poop and if the cat is sick can it be transferred to the dog?

Admin
Rebecca

I believe this is the best question that's ever been aske...

I believe this is the best question that's ever been asked on Pet360.

I don't know why they like it - but I can tell you I am constantly pulling my dog away from sampling "treats" from the litter box.  It drives me crazy!

I'm not a vet, but I do think that your dog can get sick -- my dog got extremely sick after eating a ton of poo from this litter of kittens I was fostering.  He got some kind of illness that caused him to become dangerously dehydrated.  He also got worms from them.  

Anyone else know why dogs love kitty poop?

-Rebecca
Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
jackie241

I know that we really wish we knew why so many dogs like...

I know that we really wish we knew why so many dogs like to eat cat poop...lol.I know that my son is forever having to watch his dogs so they don't get into the litter box.When we were still living in NJ,while we did not have a cat,the neighbors had several that liked to use our backyard so of course Riley would find it...most times I would catch him before he ate it...our Vet did tell us that they can become very sick from eating it.

Beauregard has not yet been exposed to cats so I really don't know how he will react to it but I do know that he searches for rabbit pellets in our yard and I often have to pull him away and or sweep his mouth(YUCK).We actually have 2 white rabbits that we have seen since early Dec.that have taken up residence in the shed...I believe they must have been someone's pets that were either turned out or got loose because they are not afraid of people or animals...they don't run away like wild rabbits do.

Jackie P.
Pet360 Foster Parent
Frisky Friend
VeggieNut

Re: Why do dogs like cat poop and if the cat is sick can it be transferred to the dog?

Dogs like to eat cat poop because cats eat a higher protein diet than do dogs. It's tasty! 

Poop is full of disease laden germs!  Some diseases can be spread thru poop like E-coli but others may not.  You would need to look up the disease in question and find out how it's spread. 

Frisky Friend
Sportsnut1227

Re: Why do dogs like cat poop and if the cat is sick can it be transferred to the dog?

Thank you for the insight and advice Veggienut,it's much appreciated!
Pawtributor
annielaurie

While we might find poop-eating disgusting, it is a natural behavior.  Wild canids eat poop for the nutrients it contains -- a large amount of nutrients from food don't get absorbed by an animal's body, and are excreted.  This is why manure and urine are such good fertilizers.  But it is a good idea to keep your domestic dog from eating poop of any kind.  They can pick up bacteria and parasites from all types of poop, not just the feline variety, and not just from animals who appear to be sick.  Even apparently healthy animals can have parasites, or can be carriers of infectious agents that  do not make them (the carriers) sick.

Frisky Friend
Sportsnut1227

Thank You for the insight Annie and welcome to the site
Pawtributor
Lag924

I agree with Annie & Veggie, also instinct. In the wild wolves mark terrority with urine & fesce. Another wolf wanting to take over the area will remark the area with urine and fesces and eating the other wolfs fesces to remove it from the site. Dogs are eating cats poop to remove the scent to their terrority. I have 4 cats 5 litter boxes & 2 dogs. I have covers on all my litter boxes, place them in an area between furniture or small screens that makes it difficult for the dog to reach and the opening faceing a wall on an angle so only the cats can get in & keeps the dogs out
Sniffin' Around
Much2do

Why do dogs eat cat poop?

I read somewhere that dogs eat cat poop because cat poop has different vitamins that dogs do not get in there own food. You might ask your vet if there is a supplement you can buy to give your dog the extra vitamins. When I had my dog, I would shame him and he seemed to stay away from the litter box. That and trying to keep it as clean as possible is the only way to keep them from eating the poop. lol
Pawtributor
drjohnnwc

Pets are raw food animals; in nature they would never cook their food. With the enzymes present in the raw food it will digest completely. When we feed our pets cooked food without adding digestive enzymes two things happen. One, the dog is craving the protein he is not getting due to incomplete digestion. Secondly the cat, also being fed a cooked food diet, is passing a lot of undigested protein and putting it in the litter box. By adding a comprehensive digestive enzyme formula (with at least 16 different enzymes) to one or both pets the content of the stool will change and so will the desire to eat it.

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Dog Petiquette - Behavior & Training
Paws Up Leaderboard