This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Sandycakes
OCD in Humans and CCD in Canines.

While browsing through my Facebook feed earlier today, I saw this article posted by the Whole Dog Journal regarding CCD (Canine Compulsive Disorder). The article talks about what kinds of behaviors could be OCD related in pets, what breeds are disposed to what behaviors, and some behavior modifying training techniques to help your best friend be less anxious. 

They also shared this article along with their own by the National Geographic about the same topic. Though the NG article more or less compares how the brains of pups affected by CCD react in comparison with normal canine brains and even human OCD brain activity. It's quite amazing how much like us our dogs truly are, isn't it? 

Anyway, I know this topic isn't exactly Separation Anxiety related, but I honestly think that SA is a part of the umbrella of overall anxiety. I've seen more than one member of this group have a pup diagnosed with OCD/CCD and SA or General Anxiety. 

So let's talk! Do you think your pup could have OCD or CCD? If so, what behaviors does s/he exhibit?

Face nuzzles & belly rubs from Moco,

Sandra
Pet360 Foster Parent
Admin
Rebecca
Re: OCD in Humans and CCD in Canines.

Whoa this is fascinating!!!!  Great find!!!!

I'd also be curious to know what the data is on dogs with any of these disorders and the number of owners who suffer from them as well.  Not that the owner is at fault -- I'm not suggesting that -- just curious.

Dash totally fixates on things - like his orange ball.  Obsessively.  If the ball is in a drawer, he will go to the cabinet and stare at it.  And huff and puff.  For as long as it takes to get us to get out the ball for him.  He'll do it all day if he has to. He just can't stop himself.

Kind of like how he fixates on me when I'm around.

-Rebecca
Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
Frisky Friend
BantuBiko

BIko can be very obsessed with his squeaky ball however he will give it back to us but he also will take out furniture, skid across the floor, crash into walls playing with it but the minute they stop squeaking he has no interest.

Biko is very intense with his toys but you can take things away from him, however this past weekend playing ball in the house with him I am not sure how it happened but he got me, whew I see stars I was sure he crushed my hand, it swelled up right away and of course he got me across my hand but that super tender spot between the thumb and finger and didn't break skin, he backed off fast but I always have ice packs in the freezer so I put that on and hoped I could move my fingers as it was turning black and blue quickly and yes no real damage other than serious bruising which I am thankful as the size of his teeth and his jaw power it could have been alot worse but my hand feels like I was in a fight and dragged my knuckles on concrete..... He knew what he did, I still can't say how it happened, maybe we both reached for the ball at the same time and while my hand doesn't squeak, I assure you I did! LOL

Interesting article Sandra, I have to say when we were in our first training program a woman there was a serious nervous nellie and her dog was exactly like her, her dog was about 9 months old and it had no idea how to play or be playful,  it was as if this dog had zero socialization and it was a beautiful dog.  When they would do a 10 min play session (this was supposed to be kindergarten and Biko was 12 weeks the other dogs were 6 and 9 months old) but this dog was afraid of toys, rolling balls, squeaky toys like scrambling to get out and its owner was just as frantic, I would watch the owner tense up just before play time and the dog was clearly picking up those signals.

That is what surprises me is that we are rather laid back, mellow and we have this high anxiety puppy - we'd wish our calm cool nature would rub off instead he is teaching me worry and anxiety!

Carol

Sandycakes

It's funny how Carol mentions that she & her hubby are laid-back, relaxed, calm pet parents and yet Biko is so nervous... Then, of course, there are the perfect examples of how our dogs mimic our behaviors/fears/anxieties/tensions like that woman and pup pair who were both nervous at Biko's first puppy class. 

My husband, Moco, and I are all really laid back people... Moco just sleeps all day and night long. He very rarely instigates play with us; I'm always instigating play with him! Haha! My husband does, too, but they play together in a different way than how I play with Moco. I like to be more "dog" about how we play together. I crouch down on all fours, play on his level with his toys, playfully growl like a dog, etc. Whereas my husband's much more "human" when he plays with Moco. They do activities like Tag, Hide & Seek, and "the Claw" Lol. Ever see Liar, Liar with Jim Carey? Yeah, just like that. Lol. I tend to get Moco to do things like "find it," tug of war, and fetch, but he's not so great at bringing it back to me, lol. 

There are two things that Moco does that I almost would consider obsessive if it weren't for the info provided in those articles. I know now that they're not obsessive behaviors in the way of CCD, thank goodness, but I still wonder why the heck does my dog do that? Lol. 

So here are his two behaviors... He drinks far too much water whenever we're home. I don't know how else to explain it, but he literally waits for us to tell him to stop drinking. We've let him just keep on keeping on, but he makes himself into this little wiener dog blimp! Can't be healthy... So I wonder what's up with this behavior.

The second one is that he licks himself thoroughly after every play time we have; it's what signals "I'm done" to me. He also licks himself like that, head to toe, after every meal. Why is this? Lol. Maybe I should post these on the General Q & A to see if maybe any of the vets on the bloggerhood have some insight. :smileyhappy:

Sandra
Pet360 Foster Parent
Sandycakes

It's funny how Carol mentions that she & her hubby are laid-back, relaxed, calm pet parents and yet Biko is so nervous... Then, of course, there are the perfect examples of how our dogs mimic our behaviors/fears/anxieties/tensions like that woman and pup pair who were both nervous at Biko's first puppy class. 

My husband, Moco, and I are all really laid back people... Moco just sleeps all day and night long. He very rarely instigates play with us; I'm always instigating play with him! Haha! My husband does, too, but they play together in a different way than how I play with Moco. I like to be more "dog" about how we play together. I crouch down on all fours, play on his level with his toys, playfully growl like a dog, etc. Whereas my husband's much more "human" when he plays with Moco. They do activities like Tag, Hide & Seek, and "the Claw" Lol. Ever see Liar, Liar with Jim Carey? Yeah, just like that. Lol. I tend to get Moco to do things like "find it," tug of war, and fetch, but he's not so great at bringing it back to me, lol. 

There are two things that Moco does that I almost would consider obsessive if it weren't for the info provided in those articles. I know now that they're not obsessive behaviors in the way of CCD, thank goodness, but I still wonder why the heck does my dog do that? Lol. 

So here are his two behaviors... He drinks far too much water whenever we're home. I don't know how else to explain it, but he literally waits for us to tell him to stop drinking. We've let him just keep on keeping on, but he makes himself into this little wiener dog blimp! Can't be healthy... So I wonder what's up with this behavior.

The second one is that he licks himself thoroughly after every play time we have; it's what signals "I'm done" to me. He also licks himself like that, head to toe, after every meal. Why is this? Lol. Maybe I should post these on the General Q & A to see if maybe any of the vets on the bloggerhood have some insight. :smileyhappy:

Sandra
Pet360 Foster Parent
Admin
Rebecca

Whoa this is fascinating!!!!  Great find!!!!

I'd also be curious to know what the data is on dogs with any of these disorders and the number of owners who suffer from them as well.  Not that the owner is at fault -- I'm not suggesting that -- just curious.

Dash totally fixates on things - like his orange ball.  Obsessively.  If the ball is in a drawer, he will go to the cabinet and stare at it.  And huff and puff.  For as long as it takes to get us to get out the ball for him.  He'll do it all day if he has to. He just can't stop himself.

Kind of like how he fixates on me when I'm around.

-Rebecca
Community Engagement Manager, Pet360