Frisky Friend
mrskappy

ANY HOME REMEDIES FOR DIARRHEA FOR DOGS?

JUST LIKE TO KNOW OF ANY QUICK HOME REMEDIES FOR DIARRHEA IN DOGS. IT WAS DUE TO A SPECIFIC FOOD SO WE SWITCHED. BUT FOR FUTURE USE IF ANY OF MINE GET IT AGAIN, IS THERE ANY QUICK HOME SOLUTIONS OR MUST IT ALWAYS BE VET MEDS?

Pawtributor
BarbBC

Re: ANY HOME REMEDIES FOR DIARRHEA FOR DOGS?

Canned pumpkin helps firm them up.  You can give him a cup of canned pumpkin with a tablespoon of yogurt on top as a treat that should help replace bacteria in the intestines as well. 

JackieK

Re: ANY HOME REMEDIES FOR DIARRHEA FOR DOGS?

Hi Mrskappy,

BarbBC is spot on with this one!  Canned pumpkin is a great natural home remedy.  You can also try banana or sweet potatoes as well. If your looking for an over the counter remedy you can try pepto bismol, pepcid ac, or even gas-x as always you should consult your veterinarian for dosages and if your dog has any special health aliments that should be considered also.  Immodium is safe to use as well, however (I'm not a veterinarian) I've heard that certain breeds can be sensitive to this treatment.

The important thing to remember is that diarrhea can be symptomatic of a more serious medical issue, which is why consulting your veterinarian should be your first move.  However, if like in your case you suspect its a result of a change in diet or too many holiday treats then you should be OK to treat the symptoms while keeping an eye out for anything alarming.

Cheers!

JackieK

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Whole Dog - Health & Wellness
Paws Up Leaderboard