Pawtributor
LRaby

How long is menstrual cycle for dogs?

[ Edited ]

How long can menstrual cycle last in small breed dogs? Have fancy pants &use mini pads but it's been almost two weeks. I have taken off the fancy pants and she is still spotting . Constantly cleaning herself and it's getting annoying to the point that I can't sleep at night cause of the constant licking, clicking jaw noise. HELP. This dog is actually my daughters but has become my constant sidekick as I'm home 24/7 due to cancer. I have always had male dogs this is new to me.

Frisky Friend
Dr_V

Normal heat cycle in a dog is 10-14 days, though there is...

Normal heat cycle in a dog is 10-14 days, though there is some variability in there.

www.pawcurious.com
facebook.com/pawcurious
Pawtributor
Candy61

Dog in heat

:smileysad: I have a 2 yr old Shih Tzu who is in heat as of the first of this month. I would like to know how long will it last & how heavy or light it should be & do vets spay during this time or do I wait till she's over with it. I've never experienced any pet who was in heat so don't know anything. I have diapers for her, but they won't stay on long. Please help.

Best of Breed
Rebecca

Re: Dog in heat

This post has been removed due to a violation of the user guidelines.

Best of Breed
Rebecca

The length of bleeding will vary from individual dog based on breed, size, etc.  The entire cycle lasts on average from 12-21 days, but it can be much shorter.  So, to answer you question, it just depends :catfrustrated:

You might want to check with your local shelter and/or veterinarian about a spay procedure, or see if there are any programs around that offer financial assistance if needed.  The ASPCA has a great search tool on their website that can help you find a low-cost spay/neuter program in your area.

Hope that helps!

-Rebecca
(Retired) Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
Pawtributor
Candy61

Gigi is a Shih Tzu. She's 2. I got her from a friend for my neighbor who is going blind, she gave her to me. The people who had her before us, bred her & she had two litters of puppies. I intend on getting her spade as soon as I can. I will look into ASPCA, & other places since my vet wants to charge me around $400. Thats without a chip.Thanks for the help.

Best of Breed
Rebecca

[ Edited ]

@Candy61   Congrats to you on your new addition!  I just rescued a blind dog as well - and she wasn't spayed, either :smileyfrustrated:  My vet also wanted to charge a lot of money - but I was lucky enough to get her admitted into a program at a local vet school (she has mammary tumors as well) and they removed the tumors and spayed her at no cost.   

I'd love it too if you joined our Special Needs pets group that we just launched - we will be definitely chatting about our blind dogs!!!!

-Rebecca
(Retired) Community Engagement Manager, Pet360
Pawtributor
bignate2

How long will my 11 month old lab menstruate

Sniffin' Around
Bothehockeydog

Omg I have a 11 month lab too!!!!

Omg I have a 11 month lab too!!!!

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up