Pawtributor
MissAmanda2

I stopped using Flea & Tick protection on my dogs this winter... am I a horrible mom?

I feel like a bad Mom. It started with me forgetting to apply their flea & tick meds in December... than by the time I remembered we thought, maybe they don't need it in the winter. 

I have two dogs that are outdoors frequently (so really need to be protected)... but with this winter weather we thought, there would be no chance.

Any way, I just re-applied their meds at the end of February. Is that OK? When do the fleas and ticks come back?

ps. I live in Pennsylvania

ps.s. Am I a bad Mom?

jackie241

No,you are not a bad mom for not applying flea and tick m...

@MissAmanda2 

No,you are not a bad mom for not applying flea and tick medicine during the winter.I do think that restarting it now(end of Feb.)is a good thing though.Many vets advise using it year round because during warm spells they can pick up fleas out in the yard.I use it year round on my dog because I just don't want to take a chance on having fleas.

We lived in NJ for quite a few years and I always used it year round on the dog we had while living there because we had neighbors(both human and pets) who had had Lyme disease that is carried by ticks and I did not want Riley to get it.

You have to make the choice of whether or not it is worth doing on a year round basis and then live with your decision. 

Jackie P.
Pet360 Foster Parent
Pawtributor
HillaryB

We got fleas in the winter!

Hi Miss Amanda2,

I had to reply because we just came back from the vet last week to discover not only does our sweet kitty have fleas, but she's allergic to flea bites. Poor kitty. We hadn't been using protection during the winter because she hasn't been going out since it's been so cold here in central NY. But the vet said they have been seeing an unprecedented amount of flea infestations this winter which she says could be from late fall and the life cycle of fleas. They are hoping the extreme cold weather hurts the flea and tick population for next season and says the last few mild winters have made the flea/tick populations worse.

Anyways, we just started using a treatment again and I don't think I'll skip winter again. Good luck!

Pawtributor
Crystalonyx

I keep up with Keasha's Flea and Heartworm medicine year...

I keep up with Keasha's Flea and Heartworm medicine year round. I just don't want to loose her do to anything. I put the little stickers on the calendar each month.
Sniffin' Around
JonP

no flea or tick meds

I rarely ever use any flea/tick meds on any of my dogs. I feed them a high quality diet an raw foods that fleas/ticks do not want to be on my dogs.

I try to keep the chemicals off of my dogs as much as possible. If I find any fleas on my dogs I just bathe them very well and/or apply some food grade Diatomaceous Earth on them..

Pawtributor
careykay

Re: I stopped using Flea & Tick protection on my dogs this winter... am I a horrible mom?

I do the same thing! I give my dog her flea and tick medication March-October/November (depending on weather).

During the winter months, if she is outside for a long period of time I usually go a thorogh brushing and use flea and tick shampoo when giving her a bath.

This seems to be working fine for me. :smileyhappy:

Pawtributor
DAS534

Re: I stopped using Flea & Tick protection on my dogs this winter... am I a horrible mom?

don't stop

dashaun@
Pawesome Pal
Talisatu

[ Edited ]
Ugh, you really think a flea or tick gives a poop what your dog eats? Yes, we care... We also build space ships. I don't know about you but I have yet to see a flea on the back of a dog or cat sitting at a table, sharpening a knife and saying "MMM, Husky burgers"... If your vet told you this he's a idiot.... If you heard this from a pet food company, they are idiots, if you read this online and believed it.... You get the point. It depends alot on your breed. I have yet to find a flea or tick on one of my huskies.... My border collie is a freaking magnet. I generally stop flea treatment after the ground is frozen and restart it before I know it's going to thaw. No your not a horrible mom, the fact that you took the time to ask proves that. PS I live in PA also
Frisky Friend
TheFurMom

We've never had an issue with fleas in our area.  This is partially due to their diet (raw) and partially due to the flea and tick treatments we use (all natural).  I would love to say that everyone should switch to raw and use natural flea treatments, but the diet doesn't work for every dog and natural doesn't work in every area.  I have a friend who lives nearby and struggled with fleas all last year - nothing worked.  She found out that the Frontline she purchased online was counterfeit.  Crazy, right?

I treat our dogs with Wondercide weekly, but if I forget, it's no big deal.  We are very lucky.  I hear that it's a lot tougher to prevent fleas on the east coast.

Fur Mom to 4 dogs and founder of Keep the Tail Wagging, an online magazine for dog lovers. I share my experience as a dog mom to 4 pups, hoping to help others make better choices for their dogs too. I love hanging with my boyfriend and our dogs, writing, photography, reading, movies and all things Marvel.
Pawtributor See
Pawtributor
See

I have stopped using the poisonous flea and tick  protections on my dog.  I found a nautral alternative on Only Natural Pet website.  It is a squeeze on that I use once a month.  I also give him a brewer's yeast tablet.  We have 10 indoor cats that we have rescused.  Fleas in this house would be a terrible nightmare.  We didn't have a single flea last summer.  I'm doing the same thing this year.  Some of the reviewers said it didn't work.  I won't kill the fleas if your pet already has them, but it will prevent them from getting on your dog.  Give a flea bath first if the dog already has fleas.

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
Paws Up
Whole Dog - Health & Wellness
Paws Up Leaderboard