Pawtributor
SGabani

My 9 yr. old yorkie has been peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water. Otherse seems fine.

My 9 yr. old yorkie has been drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot. Otherwise seems perfectly normal. At night he doesn't pee at all.  Any suggestions?

Pawtributor
BarbD

Re: My 9 yr. old yorkie has been peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water. Otherse seems fine.

Hi, I'd suggest taking him to the vet and having some baseline blood work done. As dogs get older it's not uncommon for them to drink a bit more (and then have to pee), however, sometimes there are medical reasons (both diabetes and kidney problems can create increased drinking). The blood work should help eliminate speculation and identify the cause. Good luck!  

Pawesome Pal
PatrickMahaney

Reasons your 9 yr. old yorkie could be peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water

SGabini,

Thank you for your question.

Anytime when a senior pet (yes, your nine year old Yorkshire terrier is technically considered a senior) is having an issue where the clinical signs of increased urination and water consumption I noted, it is definitely worth pursuing a thorough diagnostic workup.

There are a variety of issues that can cause your dog to have increased urination and water consumption, including (but not limited to):

1. Metabolic diseases: Diabetes Mellius, Diabetes Insipidus, Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing’s Disease, etc.)
  2. Infection- that churl infection of the urinary tract, especially that which affect the kidneys, etc.
  3. Neoplasia- i.e. cancer
  4. Toxicity- consumption of certain toxins, especially antifreeze, Xylitol-based sugarfree products, etc.
  5. Other- environment (dogs living and warm and humid environments tend to exude more panting, water consumption, and urination behaviors), etc.

All in all, I suggest that you take your dog to your veterinarian for a thorough physical examination and diagnostic workup, including blood and urine testing (chemistry, CBC, urinalysis, urine culture) and possibly X-rays (and/or ultrasound).

Based on your veterinarian examination and the results of the recommended diagnostic testing, the most appropriate treatment can be recommended.

Good luck,

Dr. PM

www.PatrickMahaney.com

Twitter @PatrickMahaney

Facebook Patrick Mahaney, Veterinarian: Acupuncture Pain Management for Your Pets

Search our Community

Get Our Free eBook!
#SummerOfPets
Paws Up
Whole Dog - Health & Wellness
Paws Up Leaderboard
User Paws Up Count